In 1762, the town New Windsor, New York was created from the Precinct of the Highlands. New Windsor was named after the town of Windsor, England, and it includes the areas of Little Britain, Rock Tavern and Vails Gate. In terms of history, New Windsor was a major depot for the Continental Army and the Army Medical Department during the Revolutionary War. Troops began arriving in 1782 and shortly thereafter, between 6000-8000 men, women and children inhabited approximately 1600 acres. The final winter encampment included huts, guardhouses, kitchens, a hospital and more. Historic sites in New Windsor today include Knox’s Headquarters and the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site. In addition, the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is located in New Windsor.
New Windsor’s 25,000 residents live in the approximately 37 square miles that make up the town. The town includes four major parks, including Plum Point which provides beautiful views of the Hudson River, and four neighborhood parks. The area is also home to plentiful shopping and dining options.