While the village of Washingtonville is part of the town of Blooming Grove, it’s listed separately here in part because it is the home of the world’s oldest continually operating winery! As one who loves a great glass of cabernet sauvignon, I couldn’t resist the shout out for Brotherhood Winery of Washingtonville.
Washingtonville was first settled in 1731 and was named in honor of George Washington. The Washingtonville website indicates George watered his horse under the big Elm Tree in the center of the village, and that action caused his name to be chosen for the area.
Approximately 7,000 people live in the 3 square miles that make up the village. Restaurants, schools, a library, a grocery store, and many other businesses can be found in the village, and residents can choose from plentiful condominiums and single family homes for their living comfort.
A tour of the Brotherhood Winery would be top on the list! As mentioned above, it’s the longest continuously operating winery in the country. It even sold wine during the Prohibition (for religious ceremonies). And interestingly enough, Brotherhood Winery indicates the clergy population in the area grew significantly during that timeframe! The winery holds various events (in 2018, a murder solving mystery night, grape stomping, a pig roast, and more). There are also tours, tastings, and dining. See the above link for more information.
- For groceries, there is a Stop & Shop located conveniently at 60 Brotherhood Plaza. It’s open from 7am to 11pm every day except Sunday when the hours are 7am to 9pm. The store contains a bakery, deli, butcher shop and more.
- Nearby at 30 Brotherhood Plaza is a CVS location. In addition to the pharmacy, the store provides photo services and provides vaccinations.
- The village also has a Stewart’s Shop, located at 2 East Main Street. They are open from 4am to midnight daily. At Stewart’s, you can find an ATM, Gas, Restroom, free air and eats.
Places to live:
- Highgrove: Highgrove is a Reiger Home-built community in the village of Washingtonville. The community is within walking distance to town, parks and schools. This is a community of new homes, so if you are interested in getting a brand new build, this might be a good place to look.
- Newcastle: The Newcastle development is an area of existing homes, mostly between and around Decker Drive and Newcastle Drive in Washingtonville. Many of these homes have mature landscaping and are bi-level or split level ranch style homes.
- Brookshire: Brookshire Condominium community includes a pool, tennis and basketball courts.